Friday, August 3, 2007

Stranded on the Interstate

I remember sitting at work one day having a normal day until Ted called. He was coming back to Lafayette form Houston and his bike broke down right across the state line. He wanted me to go to his house, pick up his trailer and come get him.

So I get to his house and he starts to tell me how I’ve got to crawl through a window that is 5 feet off the ground to get into the garage for the tie down straps. Despite being worried about being shot and being eaten by Ruger I proceeded.

When I get to Ted 1hr 30min later, he is parked under an overpass sleeping. So, we start to put the bike on the trailer and a guy pulls up, he gets out of the truck with a six pack of beer, he’d passed by a few minutes before and evidently knew Ted. He’d asked Ted if there was anything that he could do to help and he said a beer would be great, so he went and got him some.

Leave it to Ted to be stranded on the side of the road and have someone bring him beer. I guess the whole point is that Ted was the type of person that you didn’t mind helping because you knew that you could call him for anything. He had a genuine quality about him that made people want to be around him. He was a great friend, my kids favorite pirate and one of the last real people I knew. We miss you already.

Mike Watkins

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the comment about Ted being one of the last "real" people--somehow that really resonates and makes sense. He was, wasn't he?! I'll remember that sentence and I'll strive to be more like that, like Ted was.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.